Games Day Baltimore - Recap and Photos

Games Day was a blast. I didn't take nearly as many pictures as I wanted to and since this was my first one I didn't manage my time very well but overall it was a great way to spend a day.

The first thing we did, after deciding that the Forge World line was already a lost cause, was play in a demo game of Battlefleet Gothic. It was a good time (even though Spoony beat me) and while the demo mechanics and models were fun, I don't think this is something I'm going to be able to get into.


Spoony's green Imperials starting to gun down my red Orks

After the demo we walked around for a while looking at the club tables and again decided to pass on the Forge World line. We signed up for one of the speed demon painting competitions and were given Gaunts to paint. I've never painted a Tyranid model before so that was a challenge on top of the 45 minute limitation. I did a base and wash on the skin parts and several layers of red to orange highlights on the carpace. I thought it turned out pretty well for a 45 minute effort but the winner and runner up were pretty phenomenal. Both entries managed to blend the highlights on their carpaces and produce really great looking models.


my Speed Demon entry

After rejecting the Forge World line for a third time Spoony and I took a walk through the Golden Demon entries. There were some really incredible paint jobs on display here and I was so impressed that I forgot to take any pictures. I think that next year I'm going to enter a model or two to see how I stack up.

I was a little dissapointed to see that there was only one new model on display, the White Scars character Kor'sarro Khan.


Kor'sarro Khan and Vulcan He'stan


Ironclad Dread


plastic Greatswords and some archers


more plastic Greatswords, plastic Steam Tank, and an Elector Count(?)

Spoony and I also got in a demo game of Lord of the Rings. We played through the Balin's Tomb scenario - I won because I apparently had 1000 points of the Fellowship and he had around 200 points of goblins. This was also a really good time and after browsing through some of the models in the store I'm giving some thought to starting a small LotR army.

We kind of ran out of things to do at this point. In hindsight we should have planned our day better but we didn't really know what the day was going to be like. There was a 500 point 40k tournament going on that would have been fun to get in and I missed out on picking up some Forge World stuff because I didn't get in line right away. Oh well, things to know for next year.

The only disappointment was that there wasn't anywhere that Spoony and I could play a game. We brought our armies to the show because I had been told there would be tables for us to play and it ended up that there weren't. We ended up playing a game that night on our hotel room floor - hopefully the photos came out and I'll get a battle report up soon.