Analyzing Warmachine Lists Part 1

I was reading a post on Lost Hemisphere recently and one part caught my attention:

So whenever I am building an all comers list, there are certain elements I try to tackle. These elements are the following…. high DEF, high ARM and massed infantry. Examples are trying to hit a Windrushing Sorscha, trying to damage a closed Devastator and safely killing a full unit of infantry(preferably more) per turn.

I've never thought much about my lists like this before but with a tournament coming up this weekend I figured I'd give it a try.

List 1 - pIrusk
Irusk
+Spriggan
+Juggernaut
+Wardog
Great Bears
10 Kayazy + UA
Widowmakers
Koldun Lord
Kell Bailoch

High DEF
The Widowmakers are MAT 7 or 9, Kell is MAT 8 or 10, and the Great Bears are MAT 8. Superiority lets me get a 'jack up to MAT 8 as well. Combined with Irusk's feat these stats jump up to a range of 9 - 12 which should be more than enough to tackle high DEF stuff.

High ARM
A Juggernaut has a P+S 19 axe and the Spriggan has a P+S 18 lance. With average rolls and a boost the 'jacks can get up to 29 or 28 on a damage roll. Also, the Great Bears can be doing 12 + 5d6 with Battle Lust on a charge which gets their damage output in the 27 range as well.

Infantry Spam
Widowmakers and Kell can account for 6-ish infantry a turn. Throw in another potential 6 a turn from the Great Bears and infantry don't look so scary. I can also tie up swathes of infantry with the Kayazy under Iron Flesh.

List 2 - Strakhov
Strakhov
+Spriggan
+Kodiak
+Wardog
Great Bears
5 Demo Corps
Koldun Lord
Manhunter
Widowmaker Marksman
Kell Bailoch

High DEF
Again, the Great Bears and a 'jack under Superiority have MAT 8 and Kell and the Marksmen have high RATs. Strakhov doesn't have any buffs to get these higher but the Koldun Lord does have Ice Cage to give -2 DEF to an enemy model.

High ARM
My Demo Corp on the charge can throw out 14 + 4d6, the Great Bears and do 12 + 4d6, and the Manhunter has 11 + 4d6. Add in the P+S 18 on the Spriggan lance and the P+S 16 on the Kodiak and armour shouldn't be a problem.

Infantry Spam
My two snipers are a little less effective than the five snipers in the Irusk list, but that's balanced out by adding in the five Demo Corp with their Backswing. I've also got the Kodiak and its autohitting POW 12 Vent Steam attack.

Overall I think the Irusk list is the better of the two for general use, with the Strakhov list being a little faster and giving me the option for an alpha strike. It is also almost fully painted (just missing the Marksman and Wardog) so it might see a game just for that.